Monday, February 2, 2009

Mr. Bok

Still in the realm of art but veering a bit more toward the landscape variety, I wanted to share something I'd found this weekend.

In my Sunday newspaper, Cinnamon Bair wrote a short article concerning a Floridian transplant by the name of Edward Bok. Now Mr. Bok is more widely known here in Lake Wales, Florida for the pretty white bell tower he built and the surrounding garden. The tower itself is built on the highest elevation in Florida. Yes, Florida is flat but it's not THAT flat! There are some hilly areas.

In his autobiography, "The Americanization of Edward Bok," he talks about his grandparents and particularly his grandmother. She told him, "Make you the world a bit more beautiful and better because you have been in it."

Edward Bok became the editor for Ladies' Home Journal and then once he found a place in Florida to settle, he decided the rather boring sandy ... hole... that is Lake Wales needed some greenery! So he unleashed his green thumb and the result is the locally famous Bok Tower Gardens. He built the Tower in memory of his wife, so I suppose this is the Floridian version of the 'Taj Mahal.'

All in all, I'd say that the article prompted me to think a bit more about my art and purpose behind it. What are my intentions? What does it say? What do I hope it accomplishes or makes people feel?

No comments: